Friday, February 18, 2011

New Zealand-Day 13!!

January 2nd 2011
We woke up rested from our crazy day before. Breakfast was complete with our perfect view from our hotel. I still couldn't believe how beautiful Queenstwon really was. We were off to go quad bike riding. We had gone quad bike riding in Wellington but this quad bike ride was supposed to allow us to go faster! This time we got hardcore helmets and the weather was a lot warmer. The training before the trail took forever. Andrea and I got lumped in with some other girls that weren't experiences, we were going really slow. then the guide split us up into two different groups. Andrea and I were happy to be placed with the fast group! As we were riding along on the trail we rode past tons of sheep. Everytime we rode pas ttheyw ould 'bah' at us. i felt like I was on Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland, where you pass by the goat with dynamite in his mount. It was well timed, must be gake...Whenever something was too perfect or too beautiful we kept thinking 'this is fake'. Most of New Zealand felt fake, it was that amazing!!

This is us at the bottom of the mountain. Lots of sheep.

Half way up the mountain we stopped to take some pictures. It was sooo windy! It felt like Wellington. As Andrea was taking pictures close to the cliff, Mike held onto her jacket. It was really cute :)

We made it to the top! For those Lord of the Ring fas, we saw the mountain they used as mordoor. When we got to the top we stopped for coffee, tea, milo and cookies. It was the perect place to take a picture.

We had dust all over our faces.

On the ride back down we got to go through a mud pit. Andrea and i didn't go through it that fast but of course our husbands did. they got soaked with mud. they look GREAT!
Straight from quad bike riding we went to go skydiving. the weater , at this point, wasn't looking so good. In New Zealand the weather changes so fast. The clouds were rolling in. The skydiving place said it was still a go. We met up with a bunch of other contiki friends. The Alabama guys (Brooks, San and Ben) were saving their money this whole trip for skydiving. They were all suited up. Sam, joel and steve went up in a plane with 3 other people we didn't know. Then another place went up with Ben, Brooks, Neil and Charlotte. We saw four people falling from the sky but no one else. The second plane landed with Ben Brooks, Neil and Charlotte. They didn't get to go. The weather was too bad...they looked defeated. Skydiving was cancelled. We were all bummed and very jealous of the four people falling from the sky. The first three people that landed were the people we didn't know. The fourth person was Joel, We were so proud of him because he is scared of heights. The first plane landed with Sam and Steve. Sam told us that he was strapped to his guy, hanging out of the plane. The guy kept leaning foward and the back. Everytime, Sam thought he was going. Then the guy pulled him back in for landing. the clouds were too much of an issue. it begain to rain; we all jumped into the van to head back to the town to get out refund. What a bust!

Bryan was sleeping on the way to the skydiving location...After all the activities we have been doing I guess he wasn't that nervous :)

Making use of our time while waiting to see if the weather would clear up.

This was our last night in Queenstown. We had a prepaid dinner at a pizza joint. All of us were in a crushed mood but trying to keep our spirits high. the dinner was yummy, we had a group photo that took forever to take with 50ish people. In the end, the photo turned out great. some people went out to bars after dinner. Bryan and I had a party in our room. The whole trip we were carrying a bottle of vodka around with us and we so badly wanted to get rid of it. I also wanted to uplad photos to update family and friends. We played cribbage and had lots to drink. we enjoyed our view, even though it was raining, and enjoyed to company. It was a nice last night in Queenstown.

No comments: